On November 11, 2020, Kara M. Maciel and Jordan B. Schwartz presented a webinar regarding Wage and Hour Issues During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
While many companies are dealing with the more noticeable effects of the COVID-19 pandemic, wage and hour issues continue to be a concern as they could result in significant financial liability. As a result, it is important to be aware of these new pandemic-related wage and hour issues, including:
- Tricky “off the clock” and other wage payment issues for teleworking employees;
- Whether teleworking employees need to be paid for “commuting” time;
- Whether on-site employees should be paid for health screening time and other safety protocols; and
- Exempt/non-exempt issues resulting from employees performing multiple tasks on emergency bases.
At the same time, there are other important wage and hour issues that have changed significantly in 2020, including the new overtime rule, new classification guidance for independent contractors, and new joint employer guidance under the FLSA.
In this webinar, participants learned about:
- Specific strategies to deal with unexpected wage & hour challenges stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic;
- Proactive measures to stave off potential wage & hour claims; and
- The proper way for employers to implement new wage & hour regulations into their pay practices.
We are pleased to share links to a copy of the slides and a recording of the webinar. Let us know if you have questions about any labor and employment law issues. We would love to be a resource for you.
This was the 11th regularly scheduled webinar event in Conn Maciel Carey’s 2020 Labor and Employment Webinar Series. Click here to view our full schedule, detailed program descriptions, and individual registration pages for all of the webinars in the 2020 Labor and Employment Webinar Series. To register for all of Conn Maciel Carey’s Labor and Employment webinars, click here to send an email request to firstname.lastname@example.org , and we will get you automatically registered. If you missed any of our past webinars in our annual Labor and Employment Webinar Series, here is a link to Conn Maciel Carey’s webinar archive.
* * * * * * * * *
For additional resources on issues related to COVID-19, please visit Conn Maciel Carey’s COVID-19 Resource Page for an extensive index of frequently asked questions with our answers about HR, employment law, and OSHA regulatory developments and guidance, as well as COVID-19 recordkeeping and reporting flow charts. Likewise, subscribe to our Employer Defense Report blog and OSHA Defense Report blog for regular updates about the Labor and Employment Law or OSHA implications of COVID-19 in the workplace. Conn Maciel Carey’s COVID-19 Task Force is monitoring federal, state, and local developments closely and is continuously updating these blogs and the FAQ page with the latest news and resources for employers.