On Wednesday, January 15, 2020 at 10:00 AM Pacific (1:00 PM Eastern), Andrew J. Sommer and Megan S. Shaked will present a complimentary webinar regarding “California Employment Law Update for 2020: New Legal Requirements and Practical Compliance Strategies Every HR Professional and Manager Should Know.”
2020 brings significant changes for California employers, from a new test for determining independent contractor status to a ban on no rehire agreements and revamped reporting standard for serious workplace injuries. This webinar will review compliance obligations for companies doing business in California, as well as discuss the practical impact of these new laws and best practices for avoiding potential employment-related claims.
Participants will learn about the following:
- New ABC test used in determining whether a worker is an employee or independent contractor for purposes of the wage and hour violations and unemployment claims
- Legislation prohibiting an employer from requiring, in settling an employment dispute, that an employee agree not to obtain future employment with that employer
- Ban on mandatory arbitration agreements covering discrimination claims under the Fair Employment and Housing Act and Labor Code
- Extension of the deadline for filing complaints with the Department of Fair Employment and Housing from one to three years
- Ban on workplace dress code and grooming policies that prohibit natural hair, including afros and braids, that have a disparate impact based on race
- New law clarification the requirements for lactation accommodations in the workplace
- Increase in Paid Family Leave benefits, from six to eight weeks
- Wage and hour and industry specific employment developments
- Workplace safety developments, including the amended standard for reporting serious injuries and illnesses in the workplace
- Current minimum wage requirements both statewide and on local level
The webinar will also address steps employers can take to achieve compliance including evaluating current personnel practices and updating employee handbooks, employment agreements and training protocol.
This program is valid for 1.00 PDCs for the SHRM-CPSM or SHRM-SCPSM.
Click here to register for the January 15th webinar. This will be the 1st webinar event in Conn Maciel Carey’s 2020 Labor and Employment Webinar Series. Click here to view our full schedule, detailed program descriptions, and individual registration pages for all of the webinars in the 2020 Labor and Employment Webinar Series. To register for all of Conn Maciel Carey’s Labor and Employment webinars, click here to send an email request to email@example.com , and we will get you automatically registered. If you missed any of our past webinars in our annual Labor and Employment Webinar Series, here is a link to Conn Maciel Carey’s webinar archive.